The amount of waste in our world nowadays is huge. It is a fact that affects the environment, the society and even the health of people. But we can take decisions in our daily life to reduce our waste. Zero Waste is a way of life we all should embrace. It is an urgent need.
WHAT IS ZERO WASTE?
Zero waste is a philosophy, a design principle for this century, which everyone can take part in. From a big enterprise to a child at home, everybody can bet for a zero-waste lifestyle. According to the definition adopted by the Zero Waste International Alliance (ZWIA) in 2004…
“Zero Waste is a goal that is ethical, economical, efficient and visionary, to guide people in changing their lifestyles and practices to emulate sustainable natural cycles, where all discarded materials are designed to become resources for others to use.
Zero Waste means designing and managing products and processes to systematically avoid and eliminate the volume and toxicity of waste and materials, conserve and recover all resources, and not burn or bury them.
Implementing Zero Waste will eliminate all discharges to land, water or air that are a threat to planetary, human, animal or plant health”.
WHY TO ADOPT THE ZERO WASTE LIFESTYLE
• As a consumer, you will only buy things you really need, so you will be able to save money.
• By buying local products, you will build up a healthy lifestyle and you will contribute to get a more sustainable world.
• It can mitigate environmental pollution, combat global warming, reduce the burden of landfill and incinerator and reduce environmental footprint.
“ Zero Waste maximizes recycling, minimizes waste, reduces consumption and ensures that products are made to be reused, repaired or recycled back into nature or the marketplace”.
HOW TO ADOPT THE ZERO WASTE LIFESTYLE
• Buy in bulk food and local products.
• Replace one-time disposable products, bring a shopping bag for grocery, a bottle for liquids, buy in bulk food.
• Replace tissues and paper towels with handkerchief and dish rags.
• Use a menstrual cup instead of towels and tampons.
• Shop second-hand and zero-waste fashion.
• Don’t print if not necessary.
• Practice the upcycling art.
• Always recycle!